What would it be like to be Senior Architectural Technician at GH+A?
As a Senior Architectural Technician in our Montreal office, you would contribute to the successful and profitable completion of local, regional, national and international retail design projects under the supervision of the Project Director. The successful candidate will possess the experience and ability to function effectively on all assigned projects and manage all of the related processes. He/She understands the principles of project management and is responsible for respecting standards and procedures to reach profitability on all projects. He/She maintains effective communication with the Project Director, contributes to mentoring a team of junior and intermediate technicians and ensures the quality of the work produced.
You’re interested but you would like to know the role and responsibilities?
The senior Architectural Technician contributes to the successful and profitable completion of retail design projects under the supervision of the Project Director.
At GH+A, Senior Architectural Technician has the experience and ability to function effectively on all assigned projects. He/She is capable of managing any of GH+A’s diverse retail design projects , and all of the related processes. He/She contributes to liaison with the Project Director, maintaining effective communication. He/She contributes to mentoring junior and intermediate team members.
A Senior Architectural Technician understands the importance of creating and of managing a budget. He works closely with the Project Directors to ensure workloads, staffing, and projects are optimized.
The Senior Architectural Technician is responsible for respecting standards and procedures to reach profitability on all projects. He/she is responsible for the quality of work. He/She understands the principles of project management.
- Technical development
- preparation of complete technical documents
- analyse and follow the technical protocole
- research and selection of product, finishes and technical construction details
- write change order
- develop construction details
- revise technical drawings and sample selection
- General project management:
- plan technical portion of design mandates
- internal co-ordination of project
- scheduling and meeting deadlines
- oversee technical production
- resolve site issues
- manage the project within projected budgets, providing accurate information for invoicing to the Project Directors
- undertake basic project coordination tasks
- coordinate engineers, consultants and other external stakeholders
- coordination of construction documents
- Site supervision and write deficiencies list
- Prepare construction budget
- Lead or attend meetings and write minutes
- Contribute to the development of junior and intermediate level designers to ensure they grow to the next level
- supervise junior and intermediate team members contributions and quality of work
- regular mentoring of Juniors and Intermediates
- ensure that team contribution meets or exceeds expectation
- Communications and collaboration
- Internal communication – clear direction to project team; timely status reports to project directors
- maintain constant communication with Project Directors regarding workloads, projects, staffing, projections and other relevant issues
Formal Education and Training
Graduate of minimum 3 years Architectural program
10-12 years of proven retail design experience, preferably with a focus on creative services, professional services, and/or retail consumer goods and services.
Skills + Behaviors
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, visual and written (English is essential)
- Multitasking ability to effectively manage several projects at once
- Conceptualization through sketching and illustration
- Construction detailing knowledge and estimating construction budgets
- Ability to creatively value engineer without compromising design integrity
- Ability to assess information and help to generate written mandates and contracts, including fee evaluation
- Ability to read architectural documents
- Ability to resolve site issues
- Highly organized and concise
- Experience in research, specification and coordination with vendors and consultants
- General knowledge of building and finish materials
- Thorough understanding of the retail industry
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of trends in the retail and design industries
- Computer competency in CAD, Photoshop, MS Office Suite
Local and international travel required *
* Valid passport and driver’s license.